As Mother’s Day is only a week away, if you haven’t thought about what to get Mom, now is probably a good time. As we all know, moms love to get homemade stuff for presents– and if it has some sentimental slant to it, so much the better. Here’s a great idea that takes very little time and money, and one that your mom is sure to love: A Homemade Jewelry Box Made Out of an Old Book!
So, the first thing to do is choose the old book. If you really want to get Mom excited, make it one that has significance for her. For example, if you have a lot of wonderful family memories about Oyster Bay, NY, find an old book on Oyster Bay. Or, if she loved the Anne of Green Gables or a Jane Austen book, go to the used bookstore and find an old print copy of one of those. You could also pick out a book on a particular hobby she likes, or a movie star who she’s always had an iconic appeal for. You get the idea.
Next, get the following supplies:
- Small hobby knife set
- Mod Podge
- Small paint brush
- Hot glue gun
- Decor of your choice – silk flowers, buttons, ribbon. Here are a couple of examples:
- If the book is Julia Childs’ “The Joy of Cooking,” you could get tiny kitchen utensils.
- If the book is “Secret Garden,” you could find little little rake, clippers, etc. A Michael’s, or similar craft store, would carry stuff like that.
- Amazon also has good ideas.
1. Open the book and draw a rectangle on the top page, leaving a 1/2-1″ border all the way around the book.
2. Next, using your sharp hobby knife, cut the rectangle using the lines already drawn. Don’t force it too hard. You will be doing this several times, depending on the thickness of the book. Also, don’t cut down to the very bottom; leave 1/4-1/2″ of pages to serve as a cushioned bottom.
3. It’s OK that the cut pages don’t line up exactly. A little bit of roughness can really add to the vintage look.
4. Once you’ve cut as deeply as you want to go , leave the book cover up and start Mod Podging every few pages together as well as the outside of the page,s and all inside the new” box.”
5. Then using your Hot Glue Gun, you can decorate the “lid” with little kitchen tools or gardening tools, silk flowers or ribbon, bedazzle, etc.
6. Once the Mod Podge is dry, you might want to go to the thrift store and find a couple of beautiful old jewelry pieces to put in the box for added decoration!
Harbor Freight Tools carries all sorts of great crafting tools and aids to help make your special products awesome! We also have wood burners, rotary tools, rock tumblers, airbrush kits, chisel sets, hot knives, and more!
You can find this and other fun, creative ideas on the blog, Eat. Sleep Decorate.