While I've been posting the progress of the '67 Firebird's restoration these past weeks, it occurred to me some of you might be thinking, "Well, so what? That's what tools are for." This is true. But the proposition that Harbor Freight's tools are rugged, reliable and capable is beside the point. The purpose of this exercise (besides showing you a sexy car) is to demonstrate how someone can execute something as meaningful and professional as restore a classic car while spending a lot less money-- or getting a lot more value for the money-- for the tools to do it. That's a pretty big deal.
So to better illustrate the point, I'll compare the prices of the tools used on the project with similar (if not exact) products the competitors advertise. The competitors I chose were Craftsman, Northern Tool, Home Depot, Lowe's and Grainger. It should be noted that exact matches weren't always found, so I substituted the closest comparison available. I don't think this compromises the test, however, because we're only talking about differences in size and shape, not function.
In the first segment, we'll be looking at the Harbor Freight tools used in the vehicle's disassembly video:
This solidly-built, steel tool cart is the perfect rolling workstation for wrenchers, able to hold 700 lbs of tools and easily roll around the garage. Standing at over 41" high and 37" wide, there's tons of space, and with 5 drawers, a bottom shelf, a covered tray on top, side slots and more, it will keep you fully armed at your spot without having to go "fetch" a tool.
- Craftsman - 3-Drawer GRIPLATCH Utility Cart - $349.99
- Northern Tool Excel - 5-Drawer Rolling Metal Tool Cart - $399.99
- Home Depot - Excel 600 lb. 4-Drawer Steel Tool Cart - $369.99
- Lowe's - Task Force 400 lb. 6-Drawer Steel Tool Chest - $189.00
- Grainger - Westward 250 lb. 4-Drawer Utility Cart - $572.50
The huge, industrial-quality tool set contains a comprehensive collection of the most used automotive and mechanic's tools, including adjustable wrenches, ratchets, breaker bars, pliers, sockets in SAE and metric, extensions and universal joint adapters. This treasure trove of tools is built to last!
- Craftsman - 309-pc. Mechanics Tool Set - $249.99
- Northern Tool - 305-pc. Mechanics Tool Set - $299.99
- Home Depot - Husky 264-pc. Mechanics Tool Set - $198.00
- Lowe's - Kobalt 227-pc. Mechanics Tool Set - $199.98
- Grainger - Craftsman Industrial 273-pc. Mechanics Tool Set - $985.00
- Craftsman - 3/8" Ratchet Wrench - $34.99
- Northern Tool - Northern Industrial 3/8" Air Ratchet Wrench - $29.99
- Home Depot - Campbell Hausfeld 3/8" Air Ratchet Wrench - $32.68
- Lowe's - Campbell Hausfeld 3/8" Air Ratchet Wrench - $48.38
- Grainger - Westward 3/8" Air Ratchet Wrench - $79.00
- Craftsman - 1/4" Mini Air Ratchet - $49.99
- Northern Tool - AirCat Mini 1/4" Air Ratchet - $99.99
- Home Depot - Black Bull 1/4" Air Ratchet - $21.97
- Lowe's - N/A
- Grainger - Westward 1/4" Air Ratchet - $69.75
So as you can see, when you buy at Harbor Freight Tools, you really are getting the best of both worlds-- great tools at ridiculously low prices!
Join us next week when we'll review the tools employed to remove the engine!